Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Savannah August 8, 2014

 We left Sarasota around 10:00 and just before we left the safety of florida I convinced Bob to stop at one of those absurd tourist traps.  I LOVE these places.  These are all the things you never knew you needed.




Aargh!  I'm holding a pirate!

You know you want one.


Remember these?

Because nothing says "Florida" like tchatchke. 


We arrived in Savannah around 4:00 and got something to eat. We went to The Public. I got a watermelon caprese salad. Just like a traditional caprese  but watermelon instead of tomato, goat cheese instead of mozzarella, and mint instead of basil. But it had balsamic vinegar, so you can see it was just like a traditional caprese salad. 

We went to the home we're a staying at. It is just on the cusp of the safe/not safe neighborhoods.  I asked three different people. The wait staff at The Public said don't want to walk there at night.  Our host said don't walk ANYWHERE alone at night in savannah, "small city with big city crime." And the police, who repeatedly said could not ensure 100% safety, told us that where we are staying is just as safe as every other downtown/historic area. 

We took a long needed nap after that long drive and then walked to the riverside. There was a great busker playing a trumpet. He played lots of songs that required audience participation, such as If You're Happy and You Know It. We all clapped, stomped our feet, and shouted "Hooray!" at all the right spots. I love buskers. 

During our walk we found this sign and I wondered if I could mimic him. Here's my first attempt:
 
But Bob told me not to show any teeth:

  
I think I need to grow a really long beard and then try it again. 

I found a tour guides ID in the park. 
 I considered trying to pass myself off as a tourguide and just make up sh#t about Savannah. Who would know?  But I figured in case I ever run for public office... I turned it in to the first cop I saw. 

Today we plan to visit Mrs. Wilkes. We were told to arrive a half hour before they open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Disagree with something? Have your own travel blog?
Let me know.