Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Savannah

Ah yes, my friends.  I'm sure you were wondering where I would visit this summer.  I'm sure you were all wondering what you would do if I didn't go somewhere and write to you about it.  What would your summer be like?  How would you survive it if you couldn't suffer through another one of my absurd vacations.  So, with you in mind (this is all about you, baby…) I have decided to set aside all of my obligations (laundry, pet feeding, kid watching, toe nail clipping, etc) and head north.  

This year it is Savannah, Georgia that will suffer my poor humor and teasing.  Why not?  What better place than good ol' Georgia?  Here's the Reader's Digest history for you…

Way back when it was (of course) inhabited by the Native Americans.  Then, at some point and in true fashion, the English arrived and acted like they owned the place.  Then the Georgians (that's what they call themselves) sided with their northern brethren and kicked King George II to the curb.  The rest is pretty much a part of America's sad history of slavery that I won't recount here (remember, this is the Reader's Digest version).  But the history of Savannah is not the history of Georgia.  No one can agree where the name came from.  Maybe a bastardization of Shawnee, maybe from the English word savanna, or maybe a native american term meaning "salt" or "southern".  Regardless, it is kinda' nice.   Savannah is the oldest city in the state, it was a strategic site for both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, and the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (the founder of Girl Scouts).  That's about it.  All that's left is some old battle sites and a bunch of girl scout cookies.  JUST KIDDING!

So what should I do?  I posted this question on Facebook and got some idea that sound pretty good.  Visit and eat my way along the Riverfront, take some historic tours, visit Tybee Island, see Mrs. Wilkes.  We'll be staying downtown, about a half hour walk to the riverfront (according to google maps).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Disagree with something? Have your own travel blog?
Let me know.